Library of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation in Congo-Brazzaville
In response to a request from the Congolese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, LWB is assisting with the expansion and computerization of its library collections.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (MFAC) of the Republic of Congo requested assistance from BSF to expand its library. The Congolese MFAC project will supply both:
- A specialized resource reference center concerning international relations and diplomacy.
- A reading and information space for Ministry agents.
The library of the MFAC presently contains 1000 books. Most of these books were donated by Présence Africaine and dispatched to the Congo by the Ministry. Two staff members have been appointed: a head librarian trained in library science and an assistant librarian trained in archival methods.
The development of the MFAC library requires that its collections be expanded and computerized via a library managements program, the establishment of access to online resources and additional training for the library’s staff.
BSF is contributing its expertise to this project aiming to offer users a specialized resource center adapted to their needs.
1. To put a specialized resource center adapted to their needs at the disposition of MFAC staff.
2. To expand the library to a computerized, 5000 book collection.
3. To provide access to online resources and databases (open archives).
4. To offer additional training for the staff in the domains of library science, public relations and IT.
1. Donation of around 4000 works chosen by the archivist of BSF in cooperation with library personnel.
2. Purchase of books from local publishers.
3. Donation of 4 computers for the computerized management of the library, user catalogue consultation, computerization of the catalogue and open archives.
4. Providing training for the head of the library in France and training library staff in Brazzaville in October 2010 and February 2011.
- The 500 agents of the MFAC who will find professional documentation as well as recreational material at the library.
- Students of international relations, diplomacy and international economics in Brazzaville.
- Specialist scholars and teachers in the area of international relations.
Congolese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation