Training Program for Librarians from DRC
LWB has begun a training and capacity building program for the librarians of 11 educational documentation centers created in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
With more than 70 million inhabitants, the Democratic Republic of the Congo is today one of the largest francophone countries in Africa and thus plays a central role in the French-speaking world. While education is one of five priority policy areas for the new government, it remains woefully inadequate. Since the 1990s, the quality of instruction has diminished, the level of school attendance has fallen, many documentary collections have been destroyed and many teachers and children are without access to books.
LWB supports the establishment of an educational documentation network bringing together the 11 centers housed by Alliance française and the institutes of higher education responsible for teacher training. These 11 centers will be spread amongst the country’s 6 provinces in the 10 following towns: Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Likasi, Kipushi, Bukavu, Goma, Kisangani, Bunia, Mbanza-Ngungu and Matadi.
As vectors of knowledge and education, these documentation centers promote access to books. LWB is contributing technical support in the form of librarian training as well as material support by supplying appropriate book and management material to these documentation centers.
1. To promote and diversify access to books and technical documentation for all beneficiaries.
2. To support the network’s training missions.
3. To energize and support the local book supply chain by opening large documentation centers.
1. Selection of books that are suited to the context.
2. Contribution of educational and recreational works for all ages and levels.
3. Training librarians in how to run the centers and help them become book-centered meeting places and forums.
- Primary and secondary school teachers.
- Alliance française teachers.
- The interns of teacher training institutes.
- Learners of all ages.
The Pedagogical Higher Learning Institutes responsible for training teachers.
French teacher associations in DRC